Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Day 4: Oxford, Miss. to Oklahoma City

Here is a quick update; I need some sleep.

The ride today was long (530 miles) and 105 degrees hot, with not a cloud in sight. After 10 p.m. I was 30 miles from Oklahoma City. The scooter had been sounding more like a Harley than a Vespa for a couple of hours. The red oil pressure light went on and the scooter died, right on I-40. I coasted to the shoulder and called AAA.

I waited 90 minutes by the side of the road and counted my blesings: I was in cell phone range, I wasn't baking in the sun, and the shoulder was wide so it did not feel unsafe. In the end I made it to JD's house, and the scooter is at the local Vespa dealer awaiting attention. But my plans to ride to New Mexico tomorrow will have to change.

The score:
Miles today: 522 (plus 41 in a tow truck).
Miles total: 1752.
Songs for today: Oklahoma Borderline, by Vince Gill and Break Down, by Tom Petty

2 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bobo!! Oh no!! Thank goodness that you're OK. I so loved seeing you here in Oxford on Sunday night. I look forward to seeing how much money you raise for your important Cause. Give Loriann a big HUG!!!! Helen Baker

 
At 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope the bike gets fixed in time for you to hurry on your way. I love the blog.. it is great reading about the whole journey.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home