Sunday, July 16, 2006

Day 2: Tampa to Atlanta





Made it ... 517 miles, my longest day on a scooter ever. There is a lot of beauty in Georgia and north Florida, but very little of it is by the side of the main roads. Highlights of the ride: dodging all of the rain successfully, the ripe peach at the roadside stand, seeing another pair of Vespas near Crystal River, Florida, and hitting no traffic jams today. Lowlight: it was hot, hot, hot. At stops I'd pour water on my t-shirt to act as natural air conditioning for the next 30 miles or so.

I am getting the usual questions from gawkers at gas stations. (I am at gas stations a lot because the scooter goes 120 miles on a tank.) Here are the answers: 80, 65, no, and never. Here are the questions: (1) how fast does that thing go; (2) what's your gas mileage, (3) can I ride it, and (4) when are you getting a Harley?

I am giving out brochures about the ride and Canine Partners For Life as I go, but I need to get the logo magnets that were on the scooter fenders replaced. They fell off the scooter in the rain on Friday. Ineed to find a craft store that has the magnet paper.

Thanks, Kieran and Amy for putting me up in Tampa, and Emilie and Shawn, ditto for Atlanta. Thanks, Hallie, Cathy, Florian and Steve for hanging out last night.

Sorry no pictures yet, folks, having a little technical difficulty. The pictures are being snapped, but the SD card reader is giving me fits.

This morning it's on to Oxford, Mississippi. That's all for now. I need to get to Oxford in daylight. Today should have some pretty country riding.

The score:
Miles today: 517
Miles total: 847 more or less
Times I got wet: 1
Dog bites: 0
Snake bites: 0
Bites of ripe peach: 9

1 Comments:

At 12:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bobo!

It was great to meet you at graduation and we are SO tail wagging happy that you're helping CPL! Don't pick up any fleas while you're out there and keep having fun!
Slurpy kisses and tail wags,
All the dogs at the CPL kennel ( Poohdini, Zeus, Tinker, Grizzly, Buckley, Willa, Bohemia, Pebbles,
Bridger - and more coming next week to join us!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home